Friday, December 11, 2009

Take a deep breath... and jump

Today is the big day, i.e., the day I tell my advisor I'm expecting (more than just data). Some potential conversation starters....

~Talk about research. Hopefully goes well. Followed by...~
Me: "So... Guess what. I'm pregnant."
Advisor: "Uh. Okay."

~Talk about research. Hopefully goes well. Followed by...~
Me: "There is one more piece of data I thought you might find interesting... I'm having a baby!"
Advisor: "Get out."

~Talk about research. Hopefully goes well. Followed by...~
Me: "Did you know data suggests a well-rounded, happy worker is a more productive worker? Speaking of rounded workers, I will be pretty round in the coming months..."
Advisor: "Are we done? I've got a meeting in 5 minutes."

~Talk about research. Hopefully goes well. Followed by...~
Me: "There was one more thing I wanted to share with you. I'm pregnant."
Advisor: "That's wonderful! Congratulations!"

Expected outcome: Unknown

5 comments:

  1. My only response to my trainees telling me they are expecting a baby has been the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats :) and Im hoping you get the last response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats and hope the response was appropriate! I was completely freaking out before I told my chair I was pregnant the first time around. His response, I was thinking it was about time for that. (Which I took to me, this was not unexpected, in a positive way).

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, please let us know what happened.

    A friend announced her pregnancy to her boss recently and he said, "Of course you're pregnant!" She wasn't sure what to make of that. She's not showing at all.

    ReplyDelete