Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Pregnant Postdoc

The cat is out of the bag...



At least to you guys. Is it wrong to post this on a blog before you even announce it "in the real world?"



Things I am stressed about:

- Balance. Duh.

- The future. A postdoc is so temporary (possibly even more temporary once I tell my advisor I'm pregnant). The unknown is scary because it's just so... unknowable.

- The baby's health. (I assume this is a normal mom worry, coupled with my typical worry-worting.)

- Reactions of my boss. Reactions of my labmates, peers, potential employers. Reactions of my boss. Reactions of my childless friends. Reactions of my boss, my old bosses, and other academics.



Things I am excited about:

- The baby.

- A new exciting chapter in my life.

- Announcing it to lifelong friends.



Stay tuned for freak outs, other excitement, and how the conversations go with my postdoctoral advisor. Yikes!

(p.s. Any words of encouragement or advice are welcome. Words of warning are just too darn late!)

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!
    In some ways starting a family during a postdoc is ideal, since there is maximum schedule flexibility.
    That and however murky the future is, at least it comes with a built-in timeline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! No advice from me because I've yet to pursue that option. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! From one female engineer to another :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!!
    Don't worry. Everything will work out.

    ReplyDelete