Tuesday, October 27, 2009

What women can do to get ahead

There's an article called "Ten Things Companies - and Women - Can Do To Get Ahead" that I came across, and there's one particular item I found interesting that made #3 on the top 10 list for women. (If you're curious, the other 9 items were somewhat typical advice such as network, articulate your skills, have an elevator speech, etc.)

Item 3:
Dare to Apply: McKinsey, citing internal research from HP, found that "women apply for open jobs only if they think they meet 100 percent of the criteria listed, whereas men respond to the posting if they feel they meet 60 percent of the requirements." That by itself, if it holds true across the corporate world, could be holding back a lot of talented women.

First it makes you wonder how the data was gathered (eg, an objective assessment of candidates' experience compared to the requirements for the job, versus a subjective self-assessment in which case some interesting gender self-perceptions affect the results).

But assuming for a moment we can believe these numbers, what does it tell us about women in general? (Yes, let us allow ourselves a little room for generalizations and stereotypes here.) A couple possibilities:

1. Women are less willing to face rejection / failure, ie, "I will only apply for a job I'm very likely to obtain."
2. Women take metrics much more literally and do not leave as much room for the nuances of what actually goes into hiring decisions, eg, "My background is in 'limes' not 'lemons' so I don't qualify."

It also makes me wonder if women would hold others to those same standards. For example, if a female hiring manager and a male hiring manager were both given the same candidate to interview who met 60% of the job requirements - would men be more likely to consider this adequate? Would women hold the candidate to a higher standard? Hmmm.....

3 comments:

  1. Nice post. Such data would be very useful and women should take it into account in their job hunting particularly if there are also data showing that the success rate of getting job offers is correlated with the application rate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, for me it's probably a throw-back to following directions in 2nd grade. Candidate MUST have the following skill. And I think, oops! Don't have that skill! Must have it! Move along.

    Keep in mind that I don't actually move along, wait, I can't even say that because I don't apply for jobs, but well, you know, I bet some other women think this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that women do take the rules too literally in many situations. Men blow them off or just think they are so wonderful that they will be knocked off their feet and forget they don't match the job description. (Gross stereotyping in place here.) Example: I submitted a review for a special journal edition 2 days before the deadline 12/24 and was shocked to learn I was the first to submit. How many people submitted between Christmas Eve and the Day after Christmas? The key to sanity, learn what rules can be broken!!!

    ReplyDelete