Thursday, July 30, 2009

To you - my biggest fan

I was informed today that I actually have a non-anonymous follower of my blog. (Surprising someone would have to tell me this. Not so web savvy are we?) This instantly lit up my day after hours of poring over journal articles to the point of mind-numbing exhaustion. Funny how little things get us going. For all I know 'muddled grad' clicked on 'follow' by accident and will never again visit my blog to hear how my postdoctoral travails are going. For all I know 'muddled grad' is one of my labmates, intent on posting clever retorts to my flailing attempts at societal commentary.

But I digress.

The real point here is thank you. Yes, YOU, muddled grad, for being muddled enough to care to follow a muddled postdoc. For you, I include tonight's tidbit:

According to recent statistics from the NSF, women make up two-thirds of psychologists, less than half of biological and life scientists, a quarter of mathematical and computer scientists, and just one-tenth of engineers.

Bottom line: hang in there and we may just be able to scooch those numbers up.

3 comments:

  1. lol that would be me I guess :)
    And no I'm not your labmate (pretty sure as we are not geographically close enough to have that possibility)
    I make up that 1/10th of engineers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muddled grad, welcome! If you do have any questions as you're muddling along and trying to decide what to do in your academic and post-academic life, let me know if I can offer any insight or help. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. As for me I am in my last year - year and half of my PhD - so starting to think about what to do next.

    ReplyDelete